Thursday, January 31, 2008

WHOA READING POST #3((Emily Dickinson Poems))pg.580-586





In this reading, we explore the writings of Emily Dickinson. While some may find her writings to be disturbing, there is truly an intelligience behind them. In reading the poetry in depth I made an attempt to understand what Emily Dickinson was like and see what was inside her head. I think the most amazing part of reading these poems is that if in fact her sister did not betray her and broke her promise, we would not be able to view Emily's poems.

In the first poem" I Heard a Fly Buzz-when I died-", it makes it easier to envision what death is like. The desolate silence she portrays in the poem and stillness in the air is so easy to imagine. In lines 9-11, she says" I willed my keepsakes-signed away..what portion of me be Assignable". This quote makes me think of a will because it basically assigns to whom and to where you want your possessions and keepsakes to go. In most of the poems, she speaks of death but also she is in touch with her religious side too. Like in "These are the days when Birds come back", she makes references to sacraments and in "Papa Above!", I think she is in reference to Jesus and in the last poem she makes references to Cathedrals.

Her poems not only provide a feeling to death, it also gets in tune with the religious side of things. Her poems aren't really necessarily as sad as you expect death to be, I find them like sort of an explanation or story. I think it is amazing how she has written the poem as though dying is a day to day activity. I think these poems are anthologized to inevitably show the life behind death. To give feelings to what, in most cases, is associated with no feeling.

No comments: