Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Reading Post #2 Pgs- 603-610((Word and Image))

Okay, so this reading was interesting because I did not know this style of poetry existed. Since, I am a visual learner, I gravitated toward this style immediately because of the pictures used to match the poetic words in these poems. In the different writing pieces, the authors of the poems and of the pictures weren't the same and I noticed that while reading.

For the first poem by Jane Flanders, I think the words just explain and put more empasis to the images in the pictures. While describing what we see, the poem also makes you want to visualize what this bed is like and the picture just seems to add more umph to the words. I think that if this picture wasn't here it would be hard to visualize such a descriptive bed.

In the poem by William Carlos Williams, I think this poem just adds more importance to this number. Seeing the number 5 in this painting made me think of how the simplest objects can really begin to mean something when they are focused on more in depth. I find it wierd that somebody would see this passing on a truck and decide to take a piece of paper out and draw it, but that is the beauty of artists, they find the importance in such simplistic items.

While Edwin Romanzo Elmer's "Morning Picture" painting is quite disturbing and scary, I think that this does enlighten the words in the poem. I think again it is easy to visualize her parents sitting in the dark. This would otherwise seem wierd and odd for me to try to visualize. This poem adds life to the picture, it makes me think of these people as actual human beings with feelings and emotions. I think the poem had a lot of emotion behind it. Although it was wierd to me at first, I think the picture and poem together add beauty to this poem that otherwise I would not be able to find just reading it without the imagery behind it.

I feel that the use of images and poetry together is a beautiful combination because it adds life and visuals to something that would otherwise bore me. With the pictures here it is easier for me to understand and read the poem.

No comments: