Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Specialty Post#1..YaY

Finally my specialty post is here...

I took my quote from pg. 592(Langston Hughes)

He said" The blues can be real sad, else real mad, else real glad, and funny, too, all the same time. I ought to know. Me, I growed up with blues. I heard so many blues when I was a child until my shadow is blue".

I think that he is trying to imply that one the blues has all different kinds of meanings. The blues can be sad, glad and even funny. I also think that as many other African Americans back then, he felt like blues was a normal way of life because he had seen it so much as a child. The blues way of singing was enstilled in him as a child because he heard so much of it. This quote is worth anthologizing because I think that much of what we do as adults is because of what we learned as children. I think this quote is a good way of putting the phrase "Like mother, like daughter" or vice versa. The things we see our parents do is what we will most likely do when we are adults.

1 comment:

LuvSkins06 said...

I really liked the quote you picked from the short views. I have to agree with your reasoning because not only did he grow up around blues but the music itself describe most African Americans lifestyle and how they looked at things in life. Even though the blues were focused around African Americans I believe everyone experiences this lifestyle. Everyone goes though despair and sorrow thoughout their life but I think because the blues were brought up in the south thats why the blues were so popular and spoke about from many African Americans.